Cicerone Help & FAQs
How do you decide which guidebooks to publish?
As we only cover outdoor activities and are walkers and trekkers ourselves, we hope we have our ear close to the ground.
Ideas can come from almost anywhere.
One is users calling in asking for the Cicerone guidebook to somewhere when we don’t have one. After a few calls we finally get the message.
Other editors and magazines often have ideas – ‘why don’t you do a guidebook to ABC?’ which we investigate. Likewise retailers and our distributors around the world make many suggestions for guides.
Our authors are a fertile source of ideas and we work closely with them to develop a range of guide ideas.
And we have our own opinions and ideas about what we should cover.
Out of all this, plus a little more formal thinking, comes a broad plan of what we will be doing over the next few years. We tend to be scheduled about 2 years ahead, but have a rough plan that keeps us thinking up to five years in the future.
- Why are your guidebooks different colours?
- What is the difference between a reprint and a new edition?
- Why are only some of the guidebooks covered with PVC?
- Why do you sometimes not reprint guidebooks?
- Does the paper you use come from environmentally friendly sources?
- What other areas and countries are you planning guidebooks to in the future?
- The guidebook I really wanted has just gone out of print. Can you suggest how I might get one?
- Can I ask an author a question?
- I've got an update for you
- What are the updates and how do I get them?
- I am going abroad with a trekking company. Do I need the guidebook?
- How do you decide which guidebooks to publish?
- Why are some of your very old guidebooks still for sale?
- What countries do your guidebooks cover?