Cicerone Help & FAQs
The maps in Cicerone guidebooks are great. Do I need to buy the real maps?
Yes, we recommend that you buy the best maps possible for the route you are tackling. The sketch or map extracts we use in the guidebooks are designed to help with planning your route, to show what you are getting into. For detailed on-the-ground navigation please see the maps recommended in each guide, where the author, drawing on all his experience of the region, indicates the maps he or she regards as best for the purpose.
Where possible we have listed on the website the recommended maps with each book. Details are also included in all of our guidebooks.
Ordnance Survey and Harvey maps are generally available throughout the UK, especially in the regions that each map covers.
Guidebooks with Map Booklets
Some of our guidebooks now contain map booklets - we consider these to be sufficient mapping for the routes, saving you time, weight and money.
- What maps do you use in your guidebooks?
- I use my GPS all the time. Why do I need a guidebook?
- What are GPX files?
- How can I get the GPX files for my guidebook?
- The maps in Cicerone guidebooks are great. Do I need to buy the real maps?
- How do I open the GPX files?