For nearly 50 years Cicerone has established a reputation as publisher of high-quality walking, trekking, mountaineering, trail running and cycling guides to Britain, Europe and the rest of the world. We are an independent company based in Kendal, on the edge of the Lake District.
Our current range consists of over 350 titles and we publish about 30 new books or editions each year, both in print and a number of digital formats. We aim to update every guide when it is reprinted.
Each book is carefully planned, working with authors who love the regions they write about. The text is carefully edited and accurate maps are developed. Our books are designed to be as clear and attractive as possible. We work hard to produce the best guidebooks our readers can buy.
About the role
As our list of guidebooks grows in number and complexity we are looking to recruit a third designer to join our small, friendly production team.
Reporting to the Head of Production, you will be involved in all stages of the production process – creating and editing maps, preparing photos and illustrations, typesetting the books, working with printers and creating ebooks.
We have automated parts of our process using a combination of our own mapping system, an XML-first workflow, standard templates and InDesign scripting. We are continually improving our processes and you will be involved in system development as the need arises.
You will also work with the sales and marketing teams on various promotional materials and be involved in company-wide projects where design input is needed (e.g. the launch of a new series or creation of an app).
Essential skills and experience:
· Graphic design training or professional design experience, with or without a degree
· Have worked in a production-related role
· Confident using InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop – you should use the software regularly and ideally have had some formal training
· Ability to manage multiple projects with tight deadlines and manage your own time effectively
· An eye for detail
· Adaptability and the ability to learn
· Knowledge or experience of book production
· Knowledge or experience of cartography or cartographic design
· Experience of working with printers
· Knowledge or experience of XML-first workflows, in particular importing XML into InDesign and making small changes to XML files
· Knowledge or experience of Adobe scripting
· Problem-solving skills and the ability to identify areas for improvement
· An interest in the outdoors
The salary for this role will be competitive and dependent on skills and experience.
How to apply
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to Sian Jenkins (email@example.com) by Friday June 15.