Book of the Month - Ski Touring and Snowshoeing in the Dolomites
Our Book of the Month is Ski Touring and Snowshoeing in the Dolomites, longlisted for Banff Mountain Book Awards 2017. James Rushforth showcases the beauty of the Dolomites with his award-winning photographic talent. It's a wonderful area for walkers, trekkers and adventurers of all types - even in winter.
- A veritable winter wonderland
- The routes carry an Alpine and when appropriate, a Volo/Toponeige grading
- Options ranging from 5km to 18km, taking between 2 and 7 hours to complete.
- 1:50K mapping and photo topos
- Information such as total ascent and descent, aspect, expected duration of route and equipment required.
- Also provided is invaluable practical advice on things such as mountain safety and navigation, equipment, transport options to, from and around the Dolomites, ski passes, accommodation and more.
Where is it?
How difficult is it
These routes are not for complete beginners. Good navigational and mountain skills are essential for all routes as the summer tracks are covered in snow. The ski tours require backcountry / mountaineering experience, particularly for assessing the avalanche risk. These will be graded using the 'Volo' or 'Toponeige' scale.
When to go
The Dolomites can be enjoyed all year round but to get some skitouring or snowshoeing done you would need to visit in wInter (from early December until mid April).
What is so special about this book?
Nominated for the Banff Mountain Book Awards 2017, James Rushforth's photography is winning in its own right. He really pays tribute to the area which is one of the most beautiful and accessible mountains ranges in the world. The Sella Ronda circuit is a must for piste skiers, while towns such as Cortina d'Ampezzo offer a unique blend of Italian and Tyrolean culture, architecture, history and food. Explore backcountry with views of the Tre Cime (one of the 6 great Alpine North Faces), the Marmolada (the highest peak in the Dolomites), the spires of Sassolungo.
A one-line review:
Trek and Mountain magazine said: "The routes have been chosen carefully to give you the best of what the area has to offer - a must for anyone looking to visit the Dolomites in Winter."
Try this if you liked:
Book of the Month - Trekking in the Silvretta and Rätikon Alps
1 Oct 2017
Our Book of the Month is Trekking in the Silvretta and Rätikon Alps, chosen by Lesley. It's a beautiful area which deserves to be more well-known. However, for the people that do know the area, the Silvretta and Rätikon Alps is a hidden gem.